Women - Pictures, information, models, and links on exotic ebony women, African American female scientists, black women in Hollywood, and African American women managers.
Black Women Poetry Writers. Now living in Canada, despite encountering racism and rejection, she has emerged as a multicultural and multifaceted poet and black women poetry writers who has left a indelible imprint on the cultural mosaic of Canada.
Dionne Brand is a Afro Caribbean Canadian poet and writer, Dionne is a particular kind of exiled woman
who has made a strength out of her experience of multiple displacements. Of African descent, her
cultural and linguistic history has been truncated by the forcible displacement of her ancestors
from Africa to the New World.
When she had lived in the Caribbean her life had been affected by the unavoidable
impact of colonialism, namely the linguistic and cultural displacements which she often deals with in
her poetry. Now living in Canada, despite encountering racism and rejection, she has emerged as a multicultural
and multifaceted poet and writer who has left a indelible imprint on the cultural mosaic of Canada.
One of the best known Black women poetry writers Dionne Brand won the Governor General's Award for Poetry and the Trillium Award in 1997 for Land to Light On.
Her novel In Another Place, Not Here was shortlisted for the Chapters/Books in Canada First Novel Award and the
Trillium Award, and was published in the US and the UK to great acclaim. Her novel, At the Full and Change
of the Moon received rave reviews internationally as well. In Another Place, Not
Here was published in the New Face of Fiction program in 1996.
The most relevant links we could find, placed here free
- Contemporary black women poetry writers, introduction, naming and labelling, physical identity, language,. www.newi.ac.uk
- Dionne Brand, biography, black women poetry writers, Canadian poets, taught poetry writing at West Coast Women and Words Summer School. www.library.utoronto.ca
- The Academy of American Poets - Sonia Sanchez, black women poetry writers, Sonia Sanchez is the author of more than a dozen books. www.poets.org
- Yolanda Cornelia "Nikki" Giovanni, poet, Virginia Tech University Professor, black women poetry writers. www.nikki-giovanni.com
Famous Poets & Poems
- African American poets such as Rita Dove, Claude McKay, Imamu Amiri Baraka, Maya Angelou, Nikki Giovanni, Langston Hughes and other famous and contemporary Black poets. www.famouspoetsandpoems.com
Poetry Books By Dionne Brand
What We All Long For (Vintage Canada, 2005).
What We All Long For (Knopf Canada, 2005).
A Map to the Door of No Return (Anchor Canada, September 2002).
A Map to the Door of No Return (Doubleday Canada, August 2001)
At the Full and Change of the Moon (Vintage Canada, 2000).
At the Full and Change of the Moon (Knopf Canada, 1999).
Bread Out of Stone (Vintage Canada, 1998).
In Another Place, Not Here (Vintage Canada, 1997).
In Another Place, Not Here (Knopf Canada, 1996).